I bought this book for Rebekah after reading about it here. We've been reading it, well I've been reading it aloud while she nurses or tries to grab it with her hands in an attempt to put it in her mouth. Tonight we read " A New Beginning" which an account of Noah's ark found in Genesis 6-9.
I'd like to share the last several paragraphs with you...
At, last the boat landed quite suddenly on top of a great mountain. As soon as it was safe, God said, "Out you come!" And so they did-everyone skipping and dancing onto dry land.
The first thing Noah did was to thank God for rescuing them, just as he had promised.
And the first thing God did was make another promise. "I won't ever destroy the world again." And like a warrior who puts away his bow and arrow at the end of a great battle, God said, "See, I have hung up my bow in the clouds."
And there, in the clouds- just where the storm meets the sun-was a beautiful bow made of light.
It was a new beginning in God's world.
It wasn't long before everything went wrong again but God wasn't surprised, he knew this would happen. That's why, before the beginning of time, he had another plan- a better plan. A plan not to destroy the world, but to rescue it-a plan to one day send his own Son, the Rescuer.
God's strong anger against hate and sadness and death would come down once more-but not on his people, or his world. No, God's war bow was not pointing down at his people.
It was pointing up, into the heart of Heaven.
This short passage really spoke to my heart. I've never thought of a rainbow like a warrior's bow. I think this is a wonderful analogy. One that I child can understand and remember.
I like reading about God as a warrior. I think the modern church focuses TOO much on God's feminine attributes. I like knowing the lover of my soul fights for me. I'm looking forward to continuing reading this storybook Bible to Rebekah for her benefit and mine.



1 comment:
It is 11:14 p.m. and I have just finished reading Audrey's story, crying to the point of not being able to see the screen, and I ordered 2 of these bibles one for me and one for Andie and Averie. It is a birthday present for Ty. Thank you for putting this link on your blog. It taught me a lesson about the things I worry about; it is kind of an insult to God. After all, he has blessed me with so much and still I sometimes can't find peace in his goodness. I must try harder!
Crystal
Post a Comment